Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Rough Life of Courtney Ball

Hey everyone!
I missed the second week of blogging... Why do you ask?! Let me take a second and vent one last time about last weekend.

I went to visit my sorority sisters at University of Amherst and at Boston University. As I made my way back from a long weekend of fun and laughter, I was excited yet anxious about taking the bus to Manhattan Chinatown because I did not have subway directions to get me home. When I arrived, I said "Courtney, you're a New Yorker now. Just get on the subway and figure it out." I walked down the steps to the gloomy subway, which smells of the now familiar stench of dirt, filth, and mystery, but felt confident that I could find my way home. I got on the subway, made it to Fordham Rd station. Unfortunately, there are two Fordham Rd stations, but a-ha! I was still in a familiar part of the Bronx so I walked to the bus stop.


Let me rewind, as I'm making my way home, it is pouring profusely. I am wearing one my signature pink and green dresses with cute gold sandals. I power-walked to the bus stop but noticed all the streets were blocked. So, I waited for 15 minutes and became highly irritated. I walked the mile home, in the rain, with a dress and my glasses on. I could see though! I just kept doing the windshield-wiper move on my glasses so they would clear.
I wasn't happy at all. Used the picture for the pink and green

Long story short, I was sick most of last week and had to presentations in my classes. I think I won the class over with my charm and story of walking in the rain though. In my classes, we're discussing the correlation between mega-cities (cities of 8 million people or more) and the slums that most people live in in those cities. Very sad stuff but a trend we will continuously see in a capitalist/globalized world.

I've narrowed my masters thesis too. I'm leaning towards the effects of natural disasters on land use development in urban areas. I hope to either study Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans or the earthquake in Haiti. I would spend most of next summer in New Orleans or Haiti. What do you think?!

New Orleans?!?!?!
or Haiti?!?!?!!?

No comments:

Post a Comment